Now and Later

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Tin Man

For those of you who haven't heard of this, it is a mini-series that just aired on the Scifi channel. Technically speaking, it isn't really scifi; it is more of a fantasy. Anyway, it is an adaptation of the Wizard of Oz, based on the original books, not the 1939 film.
I was extremely disappointed in the Dorothy character. She seemed very flat to me, which is a shame because I have enjoyed watching the actress in other things. It seemed like she was trying to act good, because the Dorothy character is supposed to be good. However, I think that she only succeeded in sucking all of the personality out of the character. She had very little facial expression and, at times, she delivered her lines very ackwardly. To me the mark of a good actor is someone who can deliver a line so that you don't feel that they are delivering a line at all. Apart from the actress I was disappointed in the character herself; she didn't seem very realistic to me. For one thing, she didn't seem at all concerned about the parents she grew up with. She just accepts that they aren't her real parents and doesn't even seem to care that they exist once she has begun her quest.
I also object to the title. It just doesn't seem to embody the spirit or meaning of the film (is film the right term to apply to a mini-series?). Am I missing something. Overall the film was ok, sometimes quite good, and certainly visually spectacular. But, it could have been better.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home